Pastor westminster PRESBYTERIAN Church, San Jose, CA
About Westminster Presbyterian Church
Westminster Presbyterian Church (WPC) is 124 years old and advantageously located at the border between downtown San Jose and the western residential area, with a strong history of neighborliness and service to the community. WPC is a diverse church serving a more diverse community but the members are unified by their devotion to Jesus Christ.
Westminster Presbyterian Church (WPC) was originally called Second Presbyterian Church in 1891, a “mission” church set apart from First Presbyterian Church in downtown San Jose. The current church sanctuary was built at The Alameda and Shasta Avenue in 1926, at which time the name of Westminster Presbyterian Church was coined to reflect its location in San Jose. From the very beginning, the church was known for its friendliness and interest in youth and missions. At a cost of $54,327, the new church displayed a Romanesque style with splendid stained glass windows, still in place today. Its interior has been described as one of the most beautiful in the area.
Through wars and social unrest, Westminster has continued to attract families, children, and single career people with the strong message of who Jesus Christ is and its caring ministry for those in need. Since the 1980s Westminster has continued to support foreign missions abroad while it has reached out to the local community. Beginning with English as a Second Language classes for Cambodian refugees and the Brown Bag outreach to the hungry, we have enlarged our community involvement as members of PACT (People Acting in Community Together) addressing the needs for affordable housing and alternative schools, individual tutoring in the nearby elementary school, and becoming active members of the local neighborhood and business associations. Westminster has become a church of multi-languages and cultures, including the Communidad Latino-Americana (Spanish) which became an independent congregation effective February 28, 2011.